At a Glance
The Islamic Republic of Pakistan, is a sovereign country in South Asia. It is the sixth most populous country in the world (180M), with 60% of its population aged between 15 and 45 (World Folio).
Pakistan ranks 4th in developing Asia after China, India and Indonesia in absolute middle class population. (ADB).
The majority of Pakistan’s population is made up of young people with 68% below 30 years of age. This means very high portions of its tech saavy youth are about to become the major bread earners in the country.
Having one of the largest populations in the world (6th) at over 180 million, and expected to grow to 210 million by 2020, Pakistan provides a huge consumer market, especially given its high household consumption. (source)
Pakistan has the most liberal investment policy in the region with investors able to hold 100% equity and full repatriation of capital.
Since the election in May 2013, the Government has focused on major structural reform that have resulted in Pakistan’s growth rate accelerating to over 4% per annum, with targets of 7% growth by 2016.
Despite the challenging environment, Pakistan offers relatively efficient border administration for enabling trade, and is ranked at 114 among 138 Countries on the Enabling Trade Index of the World Economic Forum. (source)
It is the 25th largest economy (World Folio) in the world and is expected to become the 18th largest economy by 2050 with one of the highest consumption pattern in the world measured at 82.5% of GDP compared to India’s 60.2%. (World Bank)
Since the elections in mid-2013, the growth of the country has picked up to 4% as major structural reforms are taking place. This growth has also seen the exchange rate strengthened from a high of PKR 108 to PKR 98 against the dollar.
Moody’s has for the first time changed its negative outlook to a positive one and S&P has given the nation a rating of ‘B-’ long-term (source) with their belief that the government’s reform efforts and the International Monetary Fund lending programme will help contain external liquidity risks and gradually strengthen the country’s fiscal and economic profiles.
Forbes ranks Pakistan 32nd in terms of investor freedom and the country’s Ease of Doing Business Ranking is 110, meaning that Pakistan is seen as one of the most investor friendly nations in the entire region. (Doing Business Ranking)
Pakistan currently has a mobile penetration rate of 80% with 136 million mobile subscribers and growing at 1.15 million new subscribers per month.
There are around 18 million internet users in Pakistan, with about 15 million accessing the internet through their mobile phone and 3 million broadband users.
The recent auction of 3G and 4G spectrums in April 2014 is expected to grow broadband users to between 25 and 45 million by 2020 or a potential high-speed internet penetration of 21%.
Currently imports of mobile handsets stand at between 1.5M and 1.7M units per month, with 85% of mobiles sold priced between PKR 1,500 and PKR 4,000, with the remaining 15% being smartphones.
The 3G auction is also expected to increase smartphone sales to 40% market share by April 2015.
Key Figures to Know
Population (Total, 2012)
Population growth (annual %, 2012)
GDP (current US$, 2012)
GDP per capita (current US$, 2012)
Internet users (per 100 people, 2012)
Mobile Internet Penetration (% of population)
Minimum Salary By Law (Yearly, in $USD)
Average Salary - Entry Level Engineer (Yearly, in $USD)
Average Salary - Senior Level Engineer (Yearly, in $USD)
|Pakistan Country Data||179,160,111||1.69||$225,000,000,000||1,257||9.96|
Taking A Closer Look
Some of the earliest ancient human civilisations in South Asia originated from areas encompassing present-day Pakistan. The Indus region, which covers most of Pakistan, was the site of several successive ancient cultures including the Bronze Age Indus Valley Civilisation at Harappa and Mohenjo-Daro.
The modern state of Pakistan was established on 14 August 1947 in the eastern and northwestern regions of British India, where there was a Muslim majority. The civil unrest in the East that sparked the Indo-Pakistani War of 1971, which ended with the formal secession of East Pakistan as the independent state of Bangladesh.
Until recently, Pakistan had unsuccessfully crossed between a civilian and military government over the past 60 years. The last elections, held in May 2013, marked the first time an elected civilian administration completed a full term and handed power to another through the electoral process. Since the election, the government has begun to undertake major structural reforms that has started to increase the growth within Pakistan’s economy.